In a few words..
In the middle of the mighty Himalayas of North India lies the former kingdom of Ladakh. Due to its isolated location it can be regarded as a separate country. You’ll find here splendid examples of Tibetan culture which rival those in Tibet itself. The overland route is a fascinating challenge to ride thanks to the rugged mountainous area and the high passes you need to get over. Our journey covers a distance of more then 1000 km, starting from the former British hill station Shimla, following the Sutlej and the Spiti rivers through the the valleys of Kinnaur and Spiti that takes you gradually higher up. A perfect schedule for altitude acclimatisation. On the way you’ll see impressive landscapes and lots of traditionally build towns and villages. After reaching Leh, you had better take a lazy day off to prepare yourself for the final challenge: the Kardung la, the highest motorable pass on earth (5602 m?).
1. Arrival Delhi by flight. Transfer. Hotel
2. Transfer to Shimla (2000 m). Hotel (1n)
3. Transfer to Kalpa (2960 m). Hotel (2n)
4. Restday Kalpa. Free time. Prep bikes.
5. Cycling to Pooh (2810 m), 77 km. Guesthouse
6. Cycling to Nako (3640 m), 44 km. Guesthouse
7. Cycling to Tabo (3300 m), 63 km. Guesthouse
8. Cycling to Kaza (3660 m) via Dhankar, 49 km)
9. Rest day Kaza. Exc. to Khi Gompa. Hotel
10. Cycling to Lossar (4060, 60 km). Camp!
11. Cycling to Chattru (3330 m), 64 km. Camp!
12. Cycling to Keylong (3145 m), 80 km. Hotel (2n)
13. Rest day Keylong. Free time. Hotel
14. Cycling to Zing Zing Bar (4030 m), 54 km. Camp!
15. Cycling to Sarchu (4310 m) (4920 m), 47 km. Camp!
16. Cycling to Pang (4520 m), 78 km. Camp!
17. Cycling to Tso Kar lake (4590 m), 47 km. Rest. Camp!
18. Cycling to Lato (4020 m), 73 km. Camp!
19. Cycling to Thikse (3500 m) via Hemis, 54 km. Hotel
20. Thikse monastery. Cycling to Leh (3500 m), 18 km.
21. Rest day Leh (3560 m). Hotel.
22. Cycling Kardung La (5360 m)(2 x 40 km). Hotel
23. Flight to Delhi. Hotel
24. Delhi. Free time. PM: transfer airport. End of program (*)
2550 USD p.p. (not including flight Leh-Delhi)
Flight Leh-Delhi (econ. class): c.a. 150-200 USD pp (*)
(*) Price varies depending time of booking and seat availibilty
Single supplement: 450 USD
Groupsize: min. 8 persons (*)
(*) Departure with less then 8 members only with surcharge.
Included in your package:
– all transfers en transport according itinerary
– all accommodation incl breakfast based on twin share in hotels, guesthouses(*) and tents
– experienced tourmanager (english speaking)
– tour assistant/local guide (english speaking)
– support vehicle(s) for all cycling days
Jul 29 – Aug 21 2017
Best period for travelling: June-September
Total distance: 1184 km
Longest day distance: 80 km
Highest point (Kardung La): 5360 m (GPS checked)
Lowest point: 1000 m